Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Hello Mr. Elliptical. Yes, I'll Walk All Over You.

I have a love/hate relationship with ellipticals. I'm not selective in the loving or hating and it's not restricted to one machine or another. It's all of them.

At my most fit, I would chug through a 40-min feat of physical fitness-ness and knock out 5 miles. How in the world I did that, I do not know. Today I did 20 minutes and two things I noticed: 1) I thought I was going to die 2) I only went 1.18 miles. stop laughing, this is serious. dead serious. cuz if I went another 20 I preobably WOULD really be dead.

I like monitoring my progress throughout my workout by my heartrate. If I am doing well it will take a few minutes (5) to get to 150ish. If I'm working out and REALLY working out I like to keep it around 165. Now, most people will say that's too high, but I know my limits and that's not too high. Plus, let's be real, people - the machines attached to exercise equipment just aren't that accurate. So I might think I used to do 5 miles in 40 minutes, but in all reality it was probably closer to 4 miles.

The key is consistency. Pick a machine you like for each exercise (elliptical, treadmill, bike) and stick to it. If you're consistently reaching your goals on the same machines it's not as subjective as machine hopping (you know who you are you exercise sluts!) and you'll find your results are much more reliable.


So after today's workout I was dying of thirst. I ran to the $ store to get a new iPod cover and picked up a drink. And then I ran through the taco bell drive thru.

Also - meet Tara. She didn't want to litter the blogosphere with another fat-loss blog so she's littering mine. :)

No comments: